10.24.2007

what a week, what a week.

so, it's been a very rough week for me. i've been trying to give a lot of thought to what i want to do an imovie project on, however, my mind has been elsewhere this week.

My grandparents, aunt and uncle from Vermont came to Maryland for a mini-vacation this past weekend. They very rarely leave the state of Vermont, so I was rather excited about their visit.

Very early Sunday morning, my grandfather was rushed to the hospital with chest pains and it was determined he had a heart attack. Monday he was transferred to Washington Hospital Center in DC where they did a cathederization on him that afternoon. The test revealed he was a walking time bomb and a triple bypass was scheduled for him on Tuesday.

Tuesday, he had the surgery, however, when the surgeon comes to talk with us after the surgery, he tells us they ended up doing 5 bypasses! Nevertheless, the surgeon says his heart is strong and the surgery went well. Before we left that night, we got to see him. He was in the cardiovascular recovery room, still hooked up to a ventilator and was unable to hear us. I have to say, that is one of the most heart-wrenching things I have ever had to see.

Today, my grandmother, aunt, uncle and father went to see him. He is doing well. He was up walking around and may be able to come 'home' by Sunday! He'll recover at my parents house for a few weeks and they'll return to Vermont when he's able to travel.

Being someone who has never lost anyone close to them, this experience has really had a huge impact on me. I have really been thinking about a lot of things lately.

I could go on forever with all the emotions I have been experiencing lately, so I'll stop there. While I haven't decided what I want to do my movie on just yet, I'm seriously trying to figure out a a way to incorporate my grandparents into the project. Any suggestions or thoughts?

1 comment:

Laura M said...

Wow. Kristina. I'm so glad he is okay now. That was a harrowing experience. I'm not sure that I have any enlightening suggestions, since you have probably thought through your idea by now, but it would probably be neat tell one of your grandfather's stories. Grandparents usually have the best stories, and there may be one that you can illustrate in the iMovie.