9.12.2007

what's in a name?


You may or may not be wondering what the title of my blog -- 'anitsirk' is. I find that the first question from most people when I present them with my self-promotional pieces is "what does 'ANTI-sirk' mean?"

So, here's the background on it...

Anitsirk is my name -- Kristina -- spelled backwards and it's pronounced [uh-nit-surk]. I don't really remember where I got the idea for it...but I started using it in a graphic design project as an undergrad at Shippensburg University. We were instructed to make a logo and I somehow decided to spell my name backward, and it stuck. Which is truly amazing, considering I change my mind on design for myself weekly.

The piece above is not the logo I originally created, that is actually my letterhead which I designed in Communications Graphics II at Frederick Community College in the Fall of 2006. This self-promotional design package included a letterhead, business card front and back, label, envelope front and back and cd label. I entered this piece into the Fall 2006 Visual Arts' Exhibition at FCC, where I won 2nd place.

One of the thoughts I had when I started to design this piece was that I wanted to be able to change the color scheme if I wanted to because, again, I change my mind on color schemes I like rather frequently. This design gives me that luxury, but, I have yet to change it.

3 comments:

Jared said...

I have seen this design somewhere before...I have always liked this idea. Ramon Garciaparra named his son Nomar for the same reason. (he plays baseball for the Dodgers).

Heather said...

i love that you have the pronunciation. a few of my email addresses are rehtaeh_heather. everyone gets so confused.

Laura M said...

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering why you were so "anti-sirk." I mean, I've never met a sirk, but I'm sure they can't be that bad :)